How long does it take to resolve your claim?
This timeline is provided as a general guide as every case is different. Some cases will get resolved sooner, some longer. You should not rely on these timelines but discuss your specific circumstances with your attorney. Delays in medical treatment, the length of your treatment, and recovery time from your injuries may also change these guidelines. Depending on the response time of your medical providers, insurance companies, and opposing parties, sometimes delays occur that are beyond our control, but we will work diligently to obtain the best result possible for you as quickly as we can.
OPEN YOUR CLAIM
- Provide us with information we request.
- We open your claim with insurance companies.
- We will coordinate insurance benefits with your medical providers.
- Obtain information about insurance coverage amounts.
- We notify your doctors that we represent you and begin investigating your case.
- You will attend medical appointments and follow your doctors’ recommendations.
- Continue medical treatment if recommended by your doctors.
- Our case investigation continues as needed.
- We monitor your treatment status and obtain all your medical records.
- We will follow up to make sure your medical bills are being paid by your PIP insurance.
- Monitor your treatment status and wait for you to be released from treatment (also called “MMI” or maximum medical improvement).
- If the at-fault party has limited insurance coverage, your case may settle more quickly.
- Continue to review your medical bills and calculate your expenses.
- We will request a final report from your doctor.
- Request copies of all your medical records from your doctors (the timeline for this process varies widely because we must wait for your medical providers to provide the requested information – some providers respond quickly; others require several requests before providing records).
AFTER RECEIVING ALL YOUR RECORDS AND FINAL REPORT FROM YOUR DOCTOR
- Draft a settlement demand request detailing your medical treatment, damages and our assessment of your case to be submitted to the insurance company.
AFTER MAKING OUR FORMAL SETTLEMENT DEMAND
- Obtain an initial settlement offer.
- Discuss settlement range with client and enter settlement negotiations.
- If case settled, will take 2 – 6 weeks to negotiate medical balances, resolve liens, if any, and close case.
6 – 9 MONTHS
- If case settled, we’ll resolve any remaining issues and pay your medical bill balances.
- If your case is ready for closing, we’ll issue a check to you for your settlement funds.
- If no settlement agreement has been reached, it may be necessary to file suit.
- We’ll discuss your options and obtain your authorization to file a lawsuit, if necessary.
IF NO SETTLEMENT IS OBTAINED
- File lawsuit and begin litigation process.
DEPOSITIONS AND SCHEDULING
- Conduct depositions, including your deposition, continue litigation process, schedule and attend mediation, and prepare for trial, if necessary.
- May take several months to get on the court’s calendar for a trial date.
- Conduct trial and appeals, if any (this could take longer depending on when a trial date becomes available on the court’s calendar, or if your trial is scheduled but gets continued one or more times and could take longer if there are any appeals or if the case must go to trial again after an appeal).